Friday, April 13, 2012

Space Research








Teaching first graders to do "research" can be challenging! This year to complete our space research I divided my students into table groups. Each group brainstormed and wrote down a few questions on chart paper. The next day, the groups looked through books on their topic and wrote the answers to the question on the same chart paper. It was helpful to have at least one really strong reader in the group. The other group members took turns writing and all flipped through books looking for information. As a final product, each student made a "Did You Know" poster using the answers to the questions and any other interesting information they found out. Each group shared their findings aloud.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! During the month of May, I like to do research projects with my first graders. I like the idea of doing it in groups. Thanks for sharing!
    Connie
    welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the difficulty of teaching 1st graders to research. We do animal projects. I have found it helpful if I put a link to research sites on my webpage then teach the students how to use them. I am your newest follower. I hope you will follow my 1st grade blog as well!
    :) Dana
    Fun in First Grade

    ReplyDelete